I am not one to tune into that radio station that just plays straight Christmas music from October 31st to December 26th. That being said, I do love Christmas music. My all time favorite oldy is O Holy Night and favorite contemporary(ish) is Drummer Boy by David Bowie and Bing Crosby. I think the thing I really love is the fresh expressions of old favorites, and knowing that every year there will be ‘new’ music coming out by at least one person I enjoy. All that to say, I think a lot of times people don’t like Christmas music cause all they hear is Rudolph 100x on the radio/in stores/in movies, so they just chalk up Christmas music to being annoying. Well I have done my very best in making a short playlist for you, these are some old, new, and in between songs, that are done very well, and since Christmas is only a couple of days away, it should jump start you into the Christmas spirit!
Here is the playlist, perfect for trimming the tree to, or 40 minutes worth of your drive over to your Grandma’s house. In case you want to find the songs individually the list is at the bottom of this post.
- Come Thou Long Expected Jesus – Kings Kaleidoscope
- Winter Snow – Audrey Assad
- The Sound – Paper Route
- O Holy Night – David Phelps (I know what you are thinking, ‘the Gaithers?’ just wait 3ish minutes in is where it starts get’s bonkers).
- I Wish it Was Christmas Today – SNL
- May You Find a Light – The Brilliance
- Christmas Time is Here – Daniela Andrade
- Don’t Shoot Me Santa – The Killers (such a strange song)
- Angels We Have Heard On High – Eazy Tiger
- The Earth Stood Still – Future of Forestry (I could have picked any of there songs off their Christmas albums, so good).